Translate

Sunday, November 15, 2020

When Distance is the Key

 "It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small

And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all"

 

The above are the lines from one of my favorite songs, "Let it go" from the movie Frozen.

For those of you, who have watched the movie or heard the song, may understand that the song is indeed very liberating. It pushes us to let go of the real/unreal boundations and set ourselves free.

 

But the lines which echo my sentiments today are:

 

"It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small

And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all"

 

There is some deep thought behind the philosophy of distance.

Distance gives a perspective which is hitherto unexplored.

 

Sometimes all it takes is a little distance to make things work, in a relationship or in a commitment.

Its good to be involved in what you do or what you are, but its equally important to know when to be distant or else you would get lost in the quagmire of involvement and attachments.

Sometimes getting entangled is not such a challenge as is getting disentangled.

Too much involvement in something or somebody or even in an idea or thought,  leads to obsession which is not healthy.

 

The Key is to understand that you are getting too involved and take a conscious break . Clear your mind and get back to the task in hand with renewed enthusiasm minus the over indulgent behavior.

 

Artists too attached with their work need to disassociate  themselves  from their work in order to appreciate an unbiased view of their work. It helps them improve.

Parents too attached with their children's lives need to understand that their children are unique individuals with unique identities and their thoughts and perspectives need to be respected as well.

Come to think of it , I lived with my father for 22 years and always thought of him to be a complicated person.

I got to know him better only after I went away for work. Only after there was distance, that  I realized his importance in my life.

After doing my own thing, hits and trials, tasting failures, in the end, I always reached out to him for advice despite his satirical ways. For he was the one who knew me best and what was best for me. The Distance made me realise this.

The distance made me realise how right he had always been about me. The distance made me respect him.

The distance made me cherish him.

 

Sometimes, we get very involved in our work, our relationships, and so involved and to the point of losing our true self. Your identity is of utmost importance. Acknowledge that don't lose yourself to find something/someone else.

 

After having been detected with covid 19 despite taking due measures over all those months, I simply didn't know what to do. The thought of being isolated in a room, away from the other family members including my husband was dreadful. But the overall period was not so dreadful. I got time to contemplate, disassociate and distance myself from the petty little woes of my daily life. The things I attached grave importance to and feared seemed so immaterial now.

Today is the 17th and last my last day of quarantine. And I now realize (again) that sometimes Distance is indeed the key.

Like in these days of pandemic ;)

 

Do you agree ?




1 comment:

Unknown said...

The unexplored has now been explored. The power of the 'distance' can now be felt. Very well written Charu. Great work once again!!