Translate

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A penchant for Mending things.

 I had been bugging my husband lately to get me a new laptop. The one I use is a lenova model which dates back to 2006 and has now lost its erstwhile sheen and glory. Its processing is quite slow and I usually have a hard time navigating from one window to another. Also, it gets heated up every once in a while and turns off by itself. 

However, had a hard time convincing my hubby. I told him that I am a budding author on the way to composing a novella which will never see the light of day if I continue working on the machine. 
"Author died of sheer irritation while working on her machine" , would be the last line of my unfinished master piece. 
I employed the age old tactics of "sam/dam/dand/bheed" (read :sweet talk/buying out/punishment and blackmailing) and  provided my hubby with an ultimatum (blackmailed him !!) that if he doesn't get me a laptop in "good working condition" , I will buy the first piece which fancies me.

This got him to think. He asked me not be foolhardy and reminded me that we have not one but three kids at home and the the sleek asus piece I have set my eyes on would not be stay in "one piece" long enough for me to finish off my work.


He got all geared up, got hold of his beloved tool box and started tinkering with my laptop. He opened all of it, cleaned it inside out and put it together. Next, he backed up the data and formatted the machine. He installed and upgrade the software. His ingenious skills in electronics coupled with googling helped him fix the disfunct cd writer. He also order a new external hard disk to help him manage things the next time around. (I suspect he's going to do the same to his laptop). Anyways, He spent a good part of the weekend in this activity and seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed the process. He was quite happy with the end result and presented me the laptop which was as promised "In good working condition". Here is a picture of his finished piece of work and the tools scattered all over.



 
I was all smiles, It was not about "not buying a new" piece, but about fixing what we have got. My husband and a few other of his ilk have a penchant for mending things. It gives them a great deal of satisfaction.

Each day while getting ready for office, I browse through my wardrobe and remark to myself:  "I have nothing good to wear. I need some new dresses". The fact is, my wardrobe is flooded with dresses. Some of them are quite pretty. But they require minor amends. Some of them need a bit of fitting, just a stitch here or there. Few others have a lace or button missing. How about if I get those fixed rather than buying new ones.

I know, there are times when we feel like letting go and starting afresh. While starting afresh has it own charm , making an attempt to fix what's still there is also a very profound activity. It may be your dysfunctional piece of machinery, your broken jewelry, your clothes, your life or your relationships. 
Lets look back and see what can be mended. Lets see if we can make something right.
 

No comments: