Translate

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Ilaa of Kaithal

It started with a facebook comment.

One of my friends had put a status about Amish Tripathi's "Scion of Iksvaku".
I commented that I would like to write something like that someday.
The friend remarked on the lines of "Why wait for someday,..get started now !"
This got me to thinking. I had grown up with Stories of Hindu Mythology.
My Aunts were Sanskrit scholars and I had found them debating some or the aspect of scriptures every now and then. Egyption, Hebrew and Greek Mythology also interested me. I have often found myself drawing parallels between Indian and Greek Mythology.
Anyways, Just the other day of the facebook comment, I stumbled across the "Write India" Contest at timesofindia.com, with Amish Tripathi inviting entries for a short story.

There were a few rules:

1. The protagonist was to be a female named Ilaa, from 17th-18th century Maharashtra.
2. The story should draw inferences from Religious Scriptures and Vedic period
3. It had to be about feminism, with a girl demanding equal rights as a man.

I wrote the story keeping the above points in mind and although I am not much of a feminist, I wrote about the woman demanding equal rights as man.

Ofcourse, with a single entry to be selected from over 3000 entries , My story did not stand a chance.
Nevertheless, it was published by yourstoryclub.

The below is the link to the story, Drop a comment and let me know what you think about it.

The Mysterious Playwright

http://yourstoryclub.com/short-stories-social-moral/story-of-girl-writer-dream-mysterious-playwright/

No comments: